Table of Contents
According to the latest data, the solar industry has generated over $24.1 billion.
Clearly, the solar energy industry is a lucrative one. Did you know that it can also put more money in your pocket, though?
How do solar panels save money? Read on to find out.
How Do Solar Panels Work?
Before we dive into the money-saving benefits of solar panels, let’s touch on how they work. How is power produced by solar energy?
The basics of how solar panels work can be summed in the following steps:
- Sunlight hits solar panels, which creates an electric field
- Then, electricity flows into a conductive wire
- From here, the conductive wire transfers electricity to an inverter
- Here, the electricity is transformed into AC electricity
- Another wire transports AC electricity to the breaker box, which distributes electricity through the building
That’s not too complicated, is it?
Money-Saving Benefits of Solar Panels
Solar panels are fairly simple to understand, at least on a surface level. Now, let’s dig deeper and explore the ways they can help you save money:
Lower Electricity Bills
The main draw of solar panels is the fact that they can lower your electricity bills. Some people actually get money back from the electric company at the end of the month!
This happens because the electricity that’s generated but not needed flows through your utility meter and into the utility electrical grid. When this happens, it causes the meter to run backward, which credits your property for extra energy generated.
Many states offer tax credits when you switch to solar energy. By installing solar panels on your home, you could lower your tax bill and get more money back from your tax return.
Lower Maintenance Costs
Finally, solar panels are relatively easy to maintain. They last a long time and don’t need much upkeep. This means you won’t have to spend a lot of money on repairs over time.
Tips for Going Solar
Some people are turned off by the idea of switching to solar panels because they worry about the high upfront costs.
The initial cost can indeed be a bit steep. However, you can also find ways to save money and simplify the switch.
Here are some tried and true techniques you might want to utilize:
- Get referrals from friends or family members who have recently installed solar panels
- Make sure any installer you choose with is certified to work in your area
- Look into purchasing agreements and payment plans if you can’t afford panels outright
- Research your state’s unique tax credits and solar incentives
Perhaps the best thing you can do, though, is to get multiple estimates and compare them carefully. Don’t make any snap decisions.
Get Solar Panels, Save Money
Can solar panels save money? Absolutely!
As you can see, there are lots of ways that you can save money with solar panels on your roof.
Want to learn more about how you can cut costs and upgrade your home at the same time? Head to the finance section of our site today for more tips and tricks.